What makes the ideal brasserie? For breakfast? In New York? Keith McNally has the answer with his
Balthazar Restaurant in Soho. As you step into Balthazar, it feels as though you have stepped within a baguette's throw of the Seine complete with enormous bowls of chocolat chaud and baskets of freshly baked hot croissants. The only downside to this place, as a testament to its popularity perhaps, is that tables are so close together it is almost claustrophobic. Service is friendly and well executed. Just ensure that you book if you plan on going for breakfast or brunch on a weekend. As a regular visitor to Soho, this is my favourite breakfast spot within easy reach of the hotels, and no culinary tour of New York could fail to at least mention this place. Keith McNally's extremely noisy at night
Schillers may be his current hotspot but Balthazar is still his masterpiece.
Here are photos from various visits over the past 9 months.
just like home...
Roasted Pepper and Caramelised Onion Quiche with gruyère cheese and mixed greens.
Soft boiled organic egg with soldiers
Omelette with herbs and gruyère, with home fries and a side of cumberland breakfast sausage
Eggs Norwegian - poached eggs with smoked salmon and hollandaise on an English muffin.
Buckwheat Crepe with scrambled eggs, ham and gruyère.
Balthazar Restaurant, 80 Spring St., at Crosby St.; 212-965-1414
6 comments:
Gorgeous photos!
Use the 24 prime more Mark - its a beautiful lens, some lovely captures here, very humanistic. :)
Thanks Helen and Kang...
I need to use the 24mm more. I do carry it around with me all the time. It's just easier not to have change lenses. Laziness. I have promised myself I'm going to buy the 35mm 1.4 L lens at Christmas if I have the money.
I LOVE Balthazar - it's my morning coffee stop whenever I'm in New York. Your photos are beautiful - love the egg one especially. So glad to have just discovered your blog.
Aww, I miss Balthazar now, looking at your photos has made me all nostalgic. The photos are great too...
Greedy Diva - such kind words. thank you. Encouraging since I'm only just restarting my blog.
Helen World Foodie... - Thank you! This is the kind of place to make people feel nostalgic. I love it there.
Post a Comment