.

Saturday, 18 October 2008

Felix Dennis "Did I Mention The Free Wine?" Tour, London and TP reviewer of the week!

Yesterday evening, courtesy of trustedplaces, I attended the last London date of the Felix Dennis 2008 "Did I Mention The Free Wine" Poetry and Wine tour at The Shaw Theatre on Euston Road. It was organised for tp users by Niamh from Trustedplaces / Eatlikeagirl and last minute I was able to make it down to attend my first ever poetry recital. Lots of people had dropped out due to usual reasons and so there were six of us. So I drank fantastic claret - Margaux Margaux Bordeaux 2004 and Carina drank the Domaine Bernard Fleuriet Sancerre 2007. I'm not going to pretend that I know that much about wine except that I know that I do like a good Sancerre, if i must drink white wine and that a Margaux is a good claret (says Niamh!). Amusingly, and quite openly lots of people of the 200 or so attendees had turned up only for the free wine and canapes. The canapes were good, better than average but the wine was so good that one of the younger attendees proceeded to throw up, in the auditorium I must add, towards the end of Mr Dennis's reading... Poor thing. I suppose it was a Friday night.



Felix Dennis is quite the character (check out wikipedia). A man from humble beginnings to the publishing tycoon who sold US publishing arm to a private equity group reportedly for $300 million and who was joint 95th in the Sunday Times Rich List 2007 (fortune estimated at £750 million). Unfortunately Mr Dennis's deep bass tones sent quite a few into a similar sleep across the two readings. His poetry was fun, poignant and a intellectual journey is structure (if you were able to stay awake). I might pick up his nursery rhymes book...

I feel more cultured for saying that I went. Result. And I'm the TP reviewer of the week! Double thanks Niamh!

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails